AP & Summer Courses FAQ

AP & Summer Courses

  • I took AP Exams in high school. Will I get credit for them?
    To see if your AP scores qualify for credit, go to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website: here.
  • I took A level exams. How do I know what credit I received for them?
    To learn more about A-level credit evaluation, refer to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website: here.
  • My AP Test credit is not on my transcript. How do I make sure credits are posted to my UM record?
    Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to verify that you sent your scores to the University. If you did not request to have scores sent to U-M, please contact the College Board Testing Center.
  • I took classes at a community college during high school. Can I get credit for them?
    Students seeking approval to transfer credit completed at a college or university while enrolled in high school are required to have their high school counselor or school official complete the College of Engineering Dual Enrollment Form. The completed form should be mailed directly from the high school to the College of Engineering Credit Evaluation office. The student should also have official transcripts directed from the college/university to the College of Engineering Credit Evaluation office. If you have questions, please contact:

    • College of Engineering – Recruitment and Admissions
    • 153 Chrysler Center
    • 2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
    • Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092
    • (734) 647-7153
    • Email: engincredit@umich.edu
  • I want to take a course at a college or university near my home over the summer. How will I know which classes transfer to U-M?
    For more information on transfer credit, please refer to the CoE Bulletin.To quickly view courses that have already been pre-approved for transfer from other institutions; refer to the following two databases:

  • The class I want to take isn’t listed on the transfer equivalency database. What should I do?
    If you cannot locate your selected institution or courses on the Transfer Equivalency Databases, you will need to submit a Transfer Credit Approval form: here.
    You also need to submit a course description and syllabus to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions in 1108 Lurie or engincredit@umich.edu.
    The Office of Recruitment and Admissions will evaluate whether the course is equal to the same U-M course. Please allow 1-3 weeks for courses to be evaluated, and call ORA with questions: 734-647-7101.
  • I wanted to take a class at U-M Ann Arbor over the summer. How do I sign up?
    The Registrar’s Office will post Spring/Summer Term course schedules in March and you can register for Spring/Summer courses at the same time you register for Fall Term courses in April. Six credits per term is considered full time; you can take a maximum of nine credits each term.  Check out more resources and information about taking  Sp/Sum courses here!