Why Should My Student Get a Mentor?
- To find out what to bring and what to leave at home (What should I bring?)
- To learn the campus and community (It’s a big place!)
- To connect with other students and important resources (There are lots of both!)
- To avoid costly/dangerous/embarrassing mistakes (’nuff said)
- Because research shows that the more involved students are, the more likely they are to graduate* (This one’s for you, Mom and Dad)
*(e.g. Astin, 1984; Mallette & Cabrera, 1991; Nora, 1987; Pascarella & Terenzini, 1980; Terenzini & Pascarella, 1977).
How Do I Make Sure My Student Gets a Mentor?
- Encourage them to sign up
- Don’t sign up for them – it’s critical that we hear about the student’s interests in his/her own voice. The more a student tells us, the better the match we can make with a mentor