The Peer Mentor Application period has ended. Please check back next January.
What is A Mentor?
- An engineering student who has completed the first year in the College – and survived!
- Someone who remembers what it was like those first few weeks on campus
- A student who wants others to learn from his/her own experience
- A good listener who takes initiative, responds quickly to questions, and doesn’t pretend to have all the answers
What Does a Mentor Do?
- Connect with a new student (or two) in August and September
- Point them in the right direction – to buy books, find campus buildings, learn the bus routes, get good pizza, get home safely, find a good place to study
- Offer advice, assurance, encouragement, and referrals
What’s Expected of Me?
- Contact your mentee(s) before they move to campus
- Ask questions, and respond to their concerns
- Meet them in person before classes start
- Attend the Kick Off event
- Make a plan to stay connected with your mentees through the first term – you and your mentees decide how much time you want to devote to the program. It’s up to you!
What Will I get Out of It?
- Networking and collaboration skills that employers are looking for
- Initiative and leadership opportunities
- Satisfaction from knowing that an engineering student will be successful