Get connected Before You Get to Campus
Why Get a Mentor?
- To get your questions answered before you get to campus (What should I bring?)
- To learn your way around, including North Campus (Where are my classes?)
- To connect with other students (How am I going to meet anyone?)
- Because research shows that the more involved students are, the more likely they are to graduate* (This one’s for you, Mom and Dad)
*(e.g. Astin, 1984; Mallette & Cabrera, 1991; Nora, 1987; Pascarella & Terenzini, 1980; Terenzini & Pascarella, 1977).
What Do I get Out of It?
- Advice that will make your first year a great year
- People, places, and programs that make Michigan a great place to live and learn
- A stylin’ t-shirt (everybody wants one)
- Food, fun, and fabulous prizes!
What Can a Mentor Do For Me?
- Prepare for moving into your residence hall
- Figure out where to buy books
- Find where all your classes are
- Figure out the bus system
- What to expect from professors, roommates, and exams
- Make the transition to college easier, and make resources more accessible
- Best places to study, eat, watch the game, and have fun on campus