Student Responsibilities in the Advising Relationship
We expect you to:
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor at least once each semester and keep him or her apprised of your plans and progress throughout the year.
- Come prepared to advising meetings by doing research using available resources. Bring questions you would like to ask your advisor and a tentative academic plan for the next term.
- Take primary and increasing responsibility for your decisions, and be honest with your advisor when you are struggling – either academically or personally.
- Be open to your advisor’s suggestions and complete tasks you and your advisor agree would be beneficial to your success.
- Read all CoE emails, newsletters, and EAC communication to become knowledgeable about College policies, deadlines, resources, and opportunities.
- Regularly re-evaluate whether you are meeting your goals and CoE graduation requirements.
- Adhere to the College of Engineering Honor Code. If you are unsure what constitutes an Honor Code violation, see the Honor Council site.
Advisor Responsibilities in the Advising Relationship
You can expect us to:
- Set aside time to meet with you individually and respond promptly to your emails/calls.
- Understand and effectively communicate CoE requirements and University and College policies.
- Assist you in defining your goals, interest, values, and strengths, and connecting these with academic and career paths.
- Listen to your concerns and respect your unique background, identity, values, and choices.
- Help you assess your academic performance and identify strategies to maximize your education.
- Connect you directly with the information on campus resources that will help you succeed.
- Allow you to be responsible for your own decisions regarding your education.
- Maintain confidentiality of information you share in advising sessions.