Student Responsibilities in the Advising Relationship
We expect you to:
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor at least once each semester and keep him or her apprised of your plans and progress throughout the year.
- Come prepared to advising meetings by doing research using available resources. Bring questions you would like to ask your advisor and a tentative academic plan for the next term.
- Take primary and increasing responsibility for your decisions, and be honest with your advisor when you are struggling – either academically or personally.
- Be open to your advisor’s suggestions and complete tasks you and your advisor agree would be beneficial to your success.
- Read all CoE emails, newsletters, and EAC communication to become knowledgeable about College policies, deadlines, resources, and opportunities.
- Regularly re-evaluate whether you are meeting your goals and CoE graduation requirements.
- Adhere to the College of Engineering Honor Code. If you are unsure what constitutes an Honor Code violation
Advisor Responsibilities in the Advising Relationship
You can expect us to:
- Set aside time to meet with you individually and respond promptly to your emails/calls.
- Understand and effectively communicate CoE requirements and University and College policies.
- Assist you in defining your goals, interest, values, and strengths, and connecting these with academic and career paths.
- Listen to your concerns and respect your unique background, identity, values, and choices.
- Help you assess your academic performance and identify strategies to maximize your education.
- Connect you directly with the information on campus resources that will help you succeed.
- Allow you to be responsible for your own decisions regarding your education.
- Maintain confidentiality of information you share in advising sessions.