Advising Day Schedule
Engineering Orientation Schedule
For your Advising Day, you will spend your time with the College of Engineering Advisors and Peer Advisors. This portion of orientation begins at 9am EST on your Advising Day. Here is the schedule:
- 9:00 a.m. EST: Engineering Welcome with your Assigned Advisor. You will learn about the Engineering degree requirements and basic college policies and procedures. You will also meet your Engineering academic advisor as well as the peer advisors who will help you navigate your first year at UM.
- 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. EST: During this time, you will complete Five Segments of the Engineering Orientation process which are as follows:
- Academic Advising: You will meet with your assigned engineering advisor to discuss your goals and interests. The advisor will help you determine the courses you should be taking for your first term in the College of Engineering. You will also receive your placement exam results.
- Academic and Co-curricular Opportunities: Peer Advisors will introduce you to some of the different departments in the College of Engineering that offer opportunities to compliment your engineering degree. They will be sharing from their personal experiences transitioning into college.
- Meet With a Math Advisor: We have partnered with the Math Department in an effort to ensure correct placement in mathematics. Once you have met with your academic advisor, you will have a chance to speak with a math advisor to finalize your math selection for fall.
- Honor Code: We will introduce students to the time-honored tradition of the College of Engineering’s student created Honor Code. This policy, whose life spans more than 100 years, allows students to take exams with no proctors and trust in their fellow students.
- Peer Advisor Q & A: This time allows incoming students the ability to ask any questions from “how do you get from one campus to another at UM?”, to what courses our peers recommend.
- 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST: Registration. As you make a final selection of fall courses, your advisor and peer advisor are there to guide you with your choices.
Congratulations and Welcome to the College of Engineering!