Engineering Orientation Schedule The Engineering Advising portion of orientation begins in the afternoon of your 2nd day of orientation. Here is the schedule:
- 1:00 p.m.: Engineering Welcome. You will learn about the Engineering degree requirements and basic college policies and procedures. You will also meet the Engineering academic advisors as well as the peer advisors who will help you navigate your first year at UM.
- 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.: During this time, you will complete Four Segments of the Engineering Orientation process which are as follows:
- Academic Advising and College of Engineering Bulletin Information Session: You will meet with an engineering advisor to discuss your goals and interests. The advisor will help you determine the courses you should be taking for your first term in the College of Engineering. You will also receive your placement exam results.
- Academic and Co-curricular Opportunities: Peer Advisors will introduce you to some of the different departments in the College of Engineering that offer opportunities to compliment your engineering degree. They will be sharing from their personal experiences transitioning into college.
- Meet With a Math Advisor: We have partnered with the Math Department in an effort to ensure correct placement in mathematics. Once you have met with your academic advisor, you will have a chance to speak with a math advisor to finalize your math selection for fall.
- Take a Tour: We have several offices who will be hosting an open-house style event for you to come and learn more about study abroad, the honors college, participation with multi-disciplinary design teams, entrepreneurship, and career resources.
- 6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.: If you are a member of a Living/Learning Community, you will be able to meet with a representative from your program. They will provide information on special courses and course sections which are being held for you, and they will explain how to register for those courses.
- 6:30: Eat at Bursley Dining Hall.
- 6:30 p.m.: Meet with your Academic Peer Advisor. You will meet your academic peer advisor in a computer classroom to begin the process of backpacking your Fall courses. Backpacking is not registration and will only save your potential course schedule so that you may easily return to it when your registration appointment comes up. It does not save you a seat in the class.
- 8:00 a.m.: Arrive at Chesebrough Auditorium Lobby to begin Day 3
- 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.: Discussion on learning with a growth mindset.
- 9:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.: Advising & Registration. As you make a final selection of fall courses, your advisor and peer advisor are there to guide you with your choices.
Congratulations and Welcome to the College of Engineering!