Which major is right for me?
Assess your interests and strengths:
- What are your interests?
- What classes do you most enjoy?
- What kinds of careers do you find fascinating?
- In what areas do you naturally excel?
- What are your work-related values (high salary, helping other, working independently or as a team)?
- What are the external pressures on your major decision (financial, parental, etc)?
- What do your family and friends think are your greatest strengths?
- Write down goal and interests and schedule a meeting to meet with your EAC advisor
Gather information about engineering majors:
- Attend majors fair
- Read and review the Informational Major Handouts
- Meet with the advising offices of the majors you are considering
- Speak with declared students about the major they are in
- Look into networking events or shadowing a professional to learn more about career pathways for a major
- Check out the “Professional Network” tab in Engineering Careers by Symplicity to connect with alumni and learn what they are doing beyond graduation
- Attend a Career Fair to speak with recruiters and learn about available positions
- Attend an ECRC Company Day to speak with recruiters and learn about career opportunities
- Consider seeking a summer internship after your freshman year
- Check out engineering magazines in the turnstile outside of the EAC
- Click here to view Sample Schedules for each engineering major
- Log in to Engineering Careers by Symplicity to view internships and job postings for each major
Make a plan:
1.) Identify the major you would like to declare